A site that is famous among lovers of abandoned places in France is an abandoned castle called Chateau Secession. The impressive building and its stunning surroundings explain why it became so popular before a fire ravaged the place.
In addition to the castle, there was a small Italian-style chapel in a separate building, which is surrounded by a moat.
The castle is located in Le Quesnel in northern France. It was built in the twelfth century and belonged to Quesnel’s wealthy knightly family. However, at that time, the castle looked very different.
During the Thirty Years War, the building burned down. It was only in 1751 that it regained its usefulness when the heir to Jean Baptiste Le Fort designed a new building. This new building had just one floor. In 1853, not only was another floor built but a new pavilion was constructed as well.
After the outbreak of World War I, the castle came under occupation. As a result, the building was bombed by the Allies. When the war ended, the new heir to the castle repaired and restored the building before passing it onto his daughter, the Countess of Lussac.
The Countess lived there until the outbreak of World War II. After the end of World War II, the castle was abandoned and lay empty.
In 1985, the property was sold to a Parisian lawyer. In the late 1990s, part of the castle collapsed. From that moment on, the castle became completely abandoned.
In December 2017, a fire broke out in the building and what is left on the site now is the sad result of this fire.
There are many pictures of what was inside the chateau before the fire. On the walls hung paintings belonging to the lawyer and his wife. On the second floor, there was a large bedroom. Abandoned chairs, beds, and bookshelves still with books on them made it appear that the inhabitants had just stood up one day and walked out.
But today, there is just a ruined castle, a derelict site giving no hint of its former wonders.
Another Article From Us: Letchworth Village Abandoned Asylum, New York